Wednesday 30 December 2009

Tendangan Sila in the Sixth

Guru Ed did not come for training last Monday night. Probably down with a fever, or a flu bug. Anyway, I get to train with the other students doing the empty hands.

We revised five Buahs tonight, repeatedly. Still a lot to be done. All of us have to train harder to get better at this art. After doing those revision throught the training session, Guru Jak ask us to show him our moves, one by one, with a partner. I was the first to demonstrate and immediately he told me that I was too slow. Yes, I agree. Well, if I lived my whole life doing things slowly, and moving slowly, how can I be fast in Silat? I have to train myself to move faster. Silat is supposed to be done in blinding speed. Lightning speed! Remember Si Kilat? One of the many theories of the origin of the word Silat.

Before the class is over, Guru Jak showed us Buah Enam, or the Sixth Buah. Yes, he showed me previously. The others were not around at that time. Did I mentioned that this used to be my favourite Buah, but somehow, it got lost from my memory bank? It was slightly different last time. The approach was different, hence, the application.

One thing Guru Jak mentioned about this Buah, that I wanted to take note is the Tendangan Sila. Sila comes from the word Bersila, which describes how the Malays sit on the floor cross-legged. .

This Tendangan Sila is one tricky kick that the receiver will find it hard to determine where it came from and where it is going. According to Guru, this kick is similar to a kind of kick used by Tae Kwon Do practitioners, only not as fancy. The application in this Buah is very short and don't look very impactful but target is a quick delivery to the groin, which explains why it does not have to be so hard in its execution.

We ended our class after a few rounds of trying this Buah Enam, and quickly headed to a food court in 223 PJ for a light supper, which I had my nasi lemak, otak-otak and Iced Neslo O Kosong.

"Nasi lemak": rice cooked with cocon...Image via Wikipedia


Salam



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: