Monday 21 December 2009

A Story by Jack, Not Guru Jak

Today, I came across a story  titled My Special Child by a writer named Jack, in the Starmag, Heart & Soul section of The Star newspaper. It tells me about Jack, a parent who remembers the moment when his daughter who has Down Syndrom was born, how he felt, and how he reacted.  Anger, disgust, frustration, clueless, mixed in a myriad of emotions that suddenly came gushing in, not long after the Doctor told him of her condition, describing her newborn baby as a bit 'Mongoloid'. What a word to describe a newborn baby. A word that hurt him so much.

According to him, the doctor said that Mongoloid is a term used to describe babies with Down Syndrome. A kind of genetic disorder whereby an extra chromosome exists during the foetus' development. Among the characteristics of a Down Syndrome baby are slanted eyes, fat fingers, clubbed feet, a weak heart, simian crest on the palm and a protuding tongue. 

I remember when a close personal friend of mine who had a baby with Down Syndrome.  However, the baby did not live long due to the baby's heart condition. I recall times when this friend's Facebook status displayed her sadness remembering her loss not too long ago.

I too remember times when I asked myself what would I do, how would I react, if I am to be given a child with Down Syndrome. I can't say for sure but after some thought, I told myself that I should accept his special child with love and total acceptance as a gift from the Almighty God.

Now, let's get back to Jack's story. He brings me to a scene at the coast near Batu Maung in Penang. While sitting by himself on a rock, looking out to the horizon during a hot sunny day, watching the sampans dance with the tide and life seemed ordinary when his own world collapsed and nobody else seemed to care. Realising nothing much he could do and thoughts of ending all his despair came to being as the sea looked.. inviting..

..when suddenly, he heard a voice: "I'm sending you a special child to cherish in my name. For you to love with all your heart and teach her just the same. For she is not like other babies, nor will she ever be. You'll cry a million tears, but I promise when she smiles at you, the pain will dissapear. Love her just the same and take good care of her for me."

Coming out of shock and confusion, hearing a voice that was authoritative, yet peaceful and assuring, Jack gathered himself together and chose to be strong and face the future.

Fourteen years later, Elizabeth, Jack's special daughter attends a special school. Tall as Jack is, without heart defect or any major problems, she speaks a rojak of English, Malay and Cantonese, can dress herself, perform simple household tasks like washing dishes. She is as pretty as Jack says she is, as there is a picture insert of her wearing a Santa hat standing by a Christmas tree, in the four-columned, half page spread. And every time she smiles, all Jack's pain and anguish shall quickly disappear.

I myself had a personal little voice talking to me experience which I wrote about in my other blog, Kickboxing Jom! which is delivered in Malay.

To Jack, thank you for a heart-warming and inspiring story that you share with us Malaysians. I wish you, your beloved Elizabeth, and the rest of your family members a very merry Christmas this coming Friday. As a Silat Student, and a Muslim, I believe there is a lesson to be learnt here, of patience, courage, acceptance and LOVE.

Love, came to you in a form of a special child, Elizabeth. Love came to me too, maybe I'll see her tomorrow in Facebook.

Salam.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: