Wednesday 18 August 2010

Silat Tomoi



I just had an AHA moment. Nothing big, but it is related to the video in the previous post. I just realized where I saw Guru Ed demonstrated a counter that looks similar to the Filipino combat knife fighting moves shown in the video from the previous post. Yeah. You can see him demonstrating it in the video above at 1:09. I gave up trying to count how many hits he delivered in that one single move.

The video above is a little trailer for a DVD on Silat Tomoi, a collaboration between Guru Jak and Antonio Graceffo, The Brooklyn Monk. which is coming out soon. Hopefully very soon, I can't wait. This video shows the many elbow applications in Muay Thai roots back to the ancient art of Silat Tomoi. Well, I might not explain it 100% accurately, I just say it as how I understood it from talking to Guru Jak. The only way is to get the DVD and watch it for yourself.

Besides the elbow devastating moves, what excites me the most would be the weapons part. The weapons that will be featured in it are the kapak kecil (small axe), Sakti Pencawangan (bladed mai sok), and I'm pretty sure I remember some kerambit demonstrations were shot during production too.

I'll give you an update when I get news about the release of the DVD and where you can get it.

Salam.

No comments: