Monday 2 August 2010

How Many Blades?



Found this video on Youtube while I was taking a short break from work in the office. I was not sure how I found it because I was sure I was not looking for it, but, I did get into trouble as soon as I shared this on my Facebook. Don't worry, it was not silat related, I did not offend any silat or any other martial art guys. However, I do regret that accidentally hurt someone's feelings that afternoon.

Actually, I wanted to say that this video kept me glued on it for a while for several reasons. First, was for the number of blades the guy was carrying on his body. Second, was for the speed of his counter attacks without causing hurt to the other guy. And third was for the moves that were demonstrated. I was very sure that the moves shown was performed on me before by Guru Ed. Well, at least the first four counters, the breaking of the knuckles, wrist, elbow and up to the neck.

However, before watching this video, I thought the hit on the elbow was only to shock the biceps muscles thus to render them useless for a while and the damage on the neck was not up to the point of breaking, only to stun and inflict pain to stop the opponent's attacks. About the similarity, I guess, Visayan knife fighting is Silat. Well, that is my conclusion.

I remember asking my Guru, how many weapons did a Harimau Berantai soldier carry on their body, when they launch a sabotage mission against the Dutch during the colonial days? I don't remember exactly, but, during a mission, a Harimau Berantai soldier wears his Javanese batik that acts as a camouflage that blends with the tropical surrounding. He carries a few blades, a few kerambits, maybe two pairs of Sauh (Tekpi), one Ekor Pari (Stingray's tail). It's highly possible that the Sundang is part of his arsenal of weapons too. He also carries a little pouch containing a powder substance, the War Dust that was used to temporarily blind the enemy soldier.

How many of them in a group? Hmm, I don't know, I guess, it's a very small army unit that I would imagine a five person group infiltrating the enemy camp and take out the number one guy, then quickly vanish into the dark.

Okay, now back to the question again. How many blades can you see on the guy's body? Yeah, the guy in the video. I don't know, I have to watch the video again.

Salam.

5 comments:

Tiger said...

haha that was a great post. I love that video--have watched it a few times. The guy is good. He's wearing eight blades that I can see--there may be more. I sometimes carry three or four (one is a Swiss Army Knife for utility use). Eight is pretty crazy though! :)

Filipino/Indo/Malay arts are just variations of the same philosophy. IMO they are the best martial arts of all and I love them. I love the cultures of all three countries, including their traditional weapons. I see some similarities between Harimau Minangkabau silat and his techniques too.

BTW, I've been to the Philippines four times this year--I can't get enough of it.

Jay

ilm said...

hey Jay!

haha.. thanks for the compliment.. yeah.. i think i should practise this move few thousand times so that it becomes flesh and blood. no need to think when the time of need arises.

so.. what were you doing in the Philippines? Training? :)

ilm

Anonymous said...

This is Pekiti Tirsia Kali and the guy is one of the main representatives of the system, Baldwin "Nonoy" T. Garrucho.

He's got some other great videos on the same channel.

Rich

ilm said...

hey rich, how r u?

thx for the info. i found a Pekiti Tirsia Kali, Malaysian website at http://www.pekiti-tirsia.com.my/

i'll look up his other videos now.

Rich said...

Hey Ilm

I'm good, I'm good, thanks.

PTK is a great system, definitely worth checking out - if you have any time left with all the training with Guru Ed and Jak :)