Thursday 18 March 2010

Takraw After Working Hours

Image via Wikipedia

{{en|Photo of a service made by the Tekong in ... 













Before Silat training last night, I had a session of Sepak Takraw at the office after working hours. I think I played three games. Did I tell you about that little accident I had the first time I participated in this game with my colleague? Maybe about a month ago, or more, my teammate, who is two an a half size bigger than me, stepped on my ankle as I fall, and I think it felt as how my Guru taught me how to crush someone's ankle in a silat class. I could even hear the sound of my ankle cracking that precise moment. Yeah, scary.

Speaking of takraw, a year ago, probably March 2009 or earlier, a group of students, including me of course, helped my Guru shoot a documentary about the game Sepak Takraw. (In the old days, we in the Malay world call the game Sepak Raga. Sepak Takraw is a modern version of the game.) So, we drove to the foot of the legendary Mount Ledang (Ophir), where the national Takraw teams are training, and our role was for a little segment which reenacts how Silat in the old days were related to the game.  Each of us were given one or two silat moves that have resemblance to how the game is played nowadays.

The moves were awesome! I don't remember much, but I remember a move that involves one dropping down to a low stance and give a headbutt to the groin after a one-two exchange and another one, probably mine, that ends with me clinching the opponent's head and smash it to my shoulder. My takraw at that time, sucked big time! Hehe.. Not that it is good now, but a little bit better I hope. That takraw part, we leave to our skilful national players. After all, they are the main attention of the documentary. That documentary I think was about our attempt to bring the glory of Takraw back to our country. It was not about Silat.

Not too long after the shoot, our national team got thrashed again. I didn't care to find out if it was by Thailand, or by some other country not known for their Takraw talents. I remember in the 80s, it was either Malaysia or Thailand that rule the Takraw world. Both of these countries would meet in the finals of any Sepak Takraw championship, and no others.



I don't know what happened to the documentary. Did it went through or not, I do not know, but I do know some problem arised after that particular shoot. Nevermind. To tell you the truth,  I was not in a fine mood that day. I had some 'issues'. No, I don't have PMS, and, no Babe, I was not mad at you, just a little bit sad. It was all good and great after that babe :)

Yeah, back to training last night, I'm glad that last night's class we went back to the basics. The Langkahs (footwork) and learning the Pelampas (sticky hands drills).

First, Guru showed us two types of Langkahs. Langkah Segitiga (triangle) and Langkah Ladam Kuda (Horseshoe).  According to Guru, Langkah Segitiga is for close range, suitable for hand strikes while Langkah Ladam Kuda is used for longer range which is good for kickers. Later, Guru Ed showed us a three-point stance. It is a very low stance where one leg, the knee and the ball of foot on the ground and the other leg, only the flat part of the foot is on the ground. Then, we move around the gelanggang in that three-point stance. The leg which only the flat part of the foot on the ground will drop the knee to the ground and the other leg will then step forward and rise the knee and have only the flat part of the foot on the ground. Repeat the process and you'll find yourself moving around in that three-point stance. Do you get the picture?  It's late and maybe its hard to explain in words but its so easy to demonstrate. I'll show you when you join the class. :)

Pelampas was fun. I miss doing the pelampas. Guru corrected my pelampas last night.  I hope that we do pelampas for warmup in every class.

Salam.

Before you leave, you might want to watch this documentary featuring our biggest rival, the Thai's Sepak Takraw team. Enjoy.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: