Monday 25 January 2010

The One Inch Punch



Before stumbling into this video clip, I was already familiar with the term one inch punch made popular by the legendary Bruce Lee, but I didn't care much to know deeper about it. Not until I found this interesting video and discovered some similarity to a striking method that was taught to me by Guru Jak.

The similarity lies not in the traditional Chinese method of centering of the Chi, nothing as complex as that, as I being a new student will have no idea whatsoever in what is that going to be about. It lies simply at the flicking of the wrist joint when delivering the one inch punch. That, with the help of this video, I can easily understand.

However, instead of using the lower knuckles, the method shown by my Guru uses the base of the palm to make contact. I asked my Guru if this method is similar to Bruce Lee's One Inch Punch and he said yes, almost, kind of. He said this striking method is called Kepak Ayam. I hope he was not kidding me because, translated, it means Chicken Wings, which I find it very amusing. However, after making a little demonstration, probably after sensing my sceptism, (not that I don't trust my teacher, but sometimes being a jovial character, he does sometimes pull my leg once in a while) I understand that Kepak Ayam means more like Flapping of the Chicken Wings instead of just Chicken Wings.

Silat training is on as usual tonight, and probably I will try to practice my Kepak Ayam on a pad tonight. Practicing Kepak Ayam on myself hurts.

Salam.

5 comments:

Richard said...

Selamat Ilm

I just want to say thanks for your posts. I'm really enjoying your blog.

I'm a student of Minangkabau Harimau Pencak Silat under Pendekar Scott McQuaid and it's great to get to know more about the Berantai Harimau system through your writing.

Keep up the good work!

Hormat.

Ilm said...

Hi Richard :)

Salam.. Thanks for the compliment. Where are you at? Any plans to come visit us at our place with Pendekar Scott this year?

Salam Hormat.

Richard said...

Hey Ilm

I'm based in Hong Kong, but actually looking into relocation to Singapore or Kuala Lumpur to be closer to Pendekar. Just need to find a job there...

I visited Scott last October and may be coming for some more training in March. I'd definitely love to come over and meet Guru Jak and all of you training in his studio. I hear, though, that one has to go through the Muay Boran training with him first and only then you're allowed to train in the blade work. But hopefully I could watch the session at least.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

Salam Ilm , I'd like to ask where can I learn Silat Harimau Berantai in M'sia .

Ilm said...

Salam,

Our gelanggang address is at 6A-4, Jalan 14/20, Section 14, Petaling Jaya, Selangor

Classes on Mondays and Wednesdays 9pm until 1030 pm.

Come visit our martial arts studio's official group here http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=111636058801&ref=ts

Cheers! :)